What is Retro Interior Design?
Retro, by definition, is imitative of the past; it refers to looking back to or bringing back the past. Therefore retro interior design could mean anything from the past, though it usually refers to the decades of the 1950s, the 60s, and the 70s—anything much older than the 50s becomes vintage. Others would argue that anything at least 20 years old is retro; this would mean that the 80s could also be referred to as retro. Along a similar vein, Ronique Gibson of freshome Design & Architecture Magazine says, “Save your clothes or furniture for 20-30 years [and] the styles will come back in fashion.”
The History of Retro Design
History of Retro DesignRetro interior design, as previously stated, typically looks back to the 50s, 60s and 70s for inspiration. These were kind of wild times, design-speaking (and perhaps otherwise—the fashion! Wow). Bright, vibrant colors and mixed patterns were popular. English designer David Hicks was inspired by bright colors associated with India. These became known as “psychedelic patterns and acid-edged colors.” Wild. But design and fashion wasn’t all bright orange and loud patterns. Interior designer Dorothy Draper from Manhattan used ‘dull’ white and ‘shiny’ black in combination. Other designers turned to colors and style found in Spain and the Mediterranean.
The culture of the time was also a big influencer of design. During these years we embraced pop music, free love, hippies and flower power. Andy Warhol was big. Marilyn Monroe, Elvis, Lennon, Jagger, Chairman Mao and the Campbells soup can were what everyone talked about. One phrase popular to describe this time says it well: “if you don’t want to go all the way with your retro look, a nod to the past can be all you need.”
Maybe a colorful vintage barn door and a rustic barn door hardware set can bring a retro design feeling to your homes. Our website can provide barn doors and hardware for you. Pick it now. Make yourself chic and follow the fashion.
- Function Of Interior Door
- Types Of Interior Doors
- The Classification Method Of Interior Door
- The Method Of Choosing Indoor Door
- Selection Skills Of Interior Doors
- Characteristics Of Stainless Steel Handle
- The concept of glass doors
- Brief Introduction Of Glass Door
- Decorative Glass Doors
- Safety Glass Door
- Sliding Barn Door Hardware In Three Installation
- New Satin Nickel Material In Barn Door Hardware
- 10 Helpful Pantry Design Ideas For A Beautiful,...
- 4Tips For Designing A Perfect Shower Room
- Spark's Soft-Close Mechanism
- Customized Service
- A Guide To Different Types Of Wood
- Barn Door Size Guide
- Install Locks On Barn-style Doors
- Tips Of Cleaning Your Barn Door Hardware